Wednesday, October 17, 2012

INTRODUCING THE DIAMOND DICTIONARY


This week I have to draw attention to the newest addition to Wink’s Diamonds and Gems Blog; and that is the Diamond Dictionary.  That is a reference guide of gem and diamond terminology.  A simplifying of all the terms and phrases that you have and will come across while enjoying our blog on the topic.  I found myself going and looking up words every couple of sentences while reading some of those diamond journals.  It’s one of those lingo things.  Unless you have gone to Med School, or read medical journals in your spare time, you don’t know the lingo.  Well before I met Wink, I didn't know the lingo; so while the English made sense it had no reference or weight in my mind.  I have had such fun learning these little tid bits myself that I had to share them.  So here is a little teaser of all the super valuable info you will find in the Diamond Dictionary if you just click the tab at the top entitled (Drum roll please…): Diamond Dictionary.

Carat :
The unit of weight by which a diamond is measured. One carat equals 200 milligrams, or 0.2 grams. The word comes from the carob
seeds, whose consistent weight was used in times past to measure gemstones

Eye-Clean:
An term used in the jewelry industry to describe a diamond with no blemishes or inclusions that are visible to the naked eye (i.e. a human eye which is not aided by magnifying devices such as a jeweler's loupe or a microscope). 
This refers to the view from the top of the stone, as many inclusions that cannot be seen from the top view can be seen from the side or bottom view.

No comments:

Post a Comment