Friday, October 12, 2012

Diamond Production Up?


Wink has given me stacks of Diamond & Gemological magazines.  I have been a busy little bee reading up on the topic.  I came across something I found to be very interesting.  Headline read:  GLOBAL DIAMOND PRODUCTION UP.  As you can imagine, I thought this was curious; it was my understanding that there was some amount of turmoil in the world regarding diamond production.  Naturally I read on, wondering where this increase in diamond production was coming from.
I was surprised to find that it is not so much the finding and cutting of new diamonds that is on the rise, on the contrary, by volume production fell 3%.  Rather, it is the price of production that is on the rise.  The following are some interesting stats to illustrate what this means:

As you can see the price of production in Botswana increased 45%, 11% in Russia, and 21% in Canada and on average 31% globally.  All this math means that the price of rough, uncut diamonds has increased this year, not the quality nor the quantity.  
FACT: both the Chinese and the Indians have started a strong engagement ring tradition in the past few years; which has greatly increased the world wide demand at a time when we might have expected the demand to go down, since the economy in the traditional diamond buying countries is way down.  That, coupled with the lowering of the physical production is why the prices are going up, even in a down economy. 
In my opinion, if I’m going be buying these stones for a higher price all the way around any way, than I’d kinda’ prefer it to be as perfect a stone as it could be; seeing as how I’m all ready paying premium prices.Wink has got that part covered.  High Performance Diamonds meet even the neediest of requirements for their qualification.  Keep that and those stats in mind the next time you find yourself at a jewelry store in the mall.  Just remember that the price of rough diamonds has increased, which means that most of your diamond retailers are going to do one of two things:  A) Hike up their prices to cover their cost or B) cut corners.
At High Performance, there is no such thing as cutting corners when it comes to diamond cut and quality.  You are always getting the best, irrespective of Global Diamond Production or Production Prices.    

No comments:

Post a Comment